Clerk Typist long term vision of the Department of Health and Community Services is for individuals, families and communities throughout Newfoundland and Labrador to achieve optimal health and well-being. The Department has a mandate to provide leadership and direction for effective and efficient delivery of health and community services. In partnership with stakeholders – regional health authorities, community organizations, professional associations, post-secondary educational institutions, unions, consumers and other government departments, the department works to ensure high-quality, cost-effective services for all people of the province supporting positive health outcomes for Newfoundland and Labrador. The Department also actively engages in several multi-departmental initiatives including violence prevention, immigration, poverty reduction, wellness, mental health and addictions and healthy aging.
Clerk Typist Duties
The Clerk Typist III is a clerical position that provides secretariat to the Mental Health Care and Treatment Review Board, as legislated by the Mental Health Care and Treatment Act. Responsibilities of the position include: receiving applications for review from individuals involuntarily detained in hospital or in the community under the Mental Health Care and Treatment Act
; arranging hearings within legislated timeframes; arranging hearing dates, times, locations and Review Board panel members; processing invoices for hearings; processing payroll for Review Board members; sending out notices of hearings to all applicable parties; distributing a copy of the decision to applicable individuals once it is received from the panel chairperson; sending out notices of cancelled hearings; maintaining statistics on all hearings for the Review Board’s annual and activity reports and other related duties as assigned.
• Completion of a Diploma in Office Administration (equivalencies will be considered)
• Experience performing related secretarial or administrative support duties
• Experience processing invoices
• Experience with information management applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
• Experience coordinating legislative proceedings (asset)
• Experience maintaining statistical data (asset)
• Experience processing payroll (asset)
• Knowledge of clerical and administrative practices
• Knowledge of accounts payable processes
• Proficiency with information management applications
• Ability to communicate effectively (verbal)
• Ability to manage time and tasks
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Attention to detail
• Knowledge of payroll processes (asset)
Clerk Typist Conditions of Acceptance
• Work on a part-time basis. Position hours are 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
For more information about this opportunity please call: Gillian Hussey at (709) 729-3647
• The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
• Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
• Applications should be received before the close of business on the closing date – late applications with explanation may be accepted.
• It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
• Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
• All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
• This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador